Thursday, April 30, 2009

Caleb's Hike...

First of all, thank you everyone for your ongoing support and encouragement.


The other day I saw a man standing silent and still. Both his hands were grasped closed. Both his feet planted stable and strong. He stood straight breathing slowly. All seemed comfortable except his eyes. His eyes contradicted ease into complexity, and I realized that this comfort stance only masked confusion. In closer evaluation I realized that in one hand the man held a wallet. This wallet served as a home for all the “important” things in his life. At the very center, like most wallets, was his license. An emotionless picture characterized by a name, an address, and a description. Once in time these things were important. Now they seemed distant and foreign: a name given by two strangers before his existence, an address that describes time less spent at home, and a description of a photo not a person. Next to his license he held a card. A piece of plastic that told how much money he held. It characterized him both financially and socially. It told him not only what he could buy, but also who he needed to associate with. On top of both these things he carried pictures of family and friends. These pictures are the first things he sees when he opens this wallet and the last things he sees before he flips it closed. They serve as both anchor and harness to the fingers wrapped around the leather. In closer evaluation I realized that this man is silent and still because he is balanced. Steady tightrope walking a sill of equilibrium. In a comfortable stance shadowed with confused eyes he stands with wallet in one hand and nothing in the other.

7 comments:

  1. caleb, if you ever write a book, i want to read it. i really enjoy you and luke's different writing styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. caleb

    just curious are you talking about yourself?? whether you are or not wonderful and reflective writing. I still am curious not mention of where you are:) Hope you are well and eating!!!! We miss ya post more pics when you can

    love
    the zahn family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caleb
    I'm sorry I've missed your call these last few times- my phone broke. I know you are well. I love you like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caleb....Its stacey holladay. I found youre blog off of facebook and i knew it'd be amazing. i remember you telling me you were planning to go....keep updating the blog i can't wait to hear and see more. keep it up, i know how amazing this is going to be. Soak every drop out of it. Can't wait for another update!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caleb, your blogs are amazing. This one in particular definitely made me feel the isolation and this amazing "other-world" that you find yourself in now a days. Remember when you had to ask me how to spell futcher? Proud to know you dude...keep it up!

    -Gray Lindquist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caleb thank you for being an amazing cousin. I am so glad that you are having this experience and know you'll make the best of it. Peace and safe travels to you!

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. HEy this is Caleb, I was thinking that maybe since all my friends and family were being so amazing I should try to respond to that. Everyone is pumping me up to a new high. Honestly I have the biggest ego on the trail now. I'm sure its getting annoying to Luke, but I love it.
    -Daniel, I think we should write a book together. I was thinking a title of something along the lines of "therapy in wood" or "Quiet you 'Bark'"
    -Mary, I'm talking about everyone including myself. Thank you so much for contribution to Waynesboro. I hope you don't mind but I spread the gift with Luke and we dinned at a Japanese steak house. Delicious! Thank you again pics are coming!
    -Hana, I love you.
    -Stacey! You are amazing. I hope all is well. I miss you girls, but your post is truly inspiring. I hope you keep up with us. I could totally see a girl like you on the trail. I love it. I hope to see you back in Raleigh-town. I have another year since I took off my last semester. Go figure they only offer spring classes in spring. You should look into IM soccer with us! Talk to you soon.
    -Gray, I love it man. Who would have ever though that I would drop my business major and pick up a liberal arts one. Dude reflect on the blogs and brain storm your own. I think it might be what we do after we graduate since we both have ridiculous majors. I love the support man it truly does inspire and help. I was day dreaming the other day about Crayola the clan for some reason.
    -Shawn, You are being an amazing cousin. I constantly crave some of that Colorado water. Give Justin a hug for me and da baby a high five. Is she old enough to play soccer yet? She’ll have options when she develops into a world class player with the dual citizenship.

    ReplyDelete