Sunday, March 29, 2009

Stephen's say in all this....

Hey everyone this is Stephen,

I've been hiking the AT since Thursday morning, and I've been hiking with NoseHose and Hillraiser since Thursday night. I hiked into the smokies to meet them at Tricorner Knob, then hiked all the way to Max Patch with them over the next two days. I camped with them at Max Patch and was picked up there on Sunday morning. Despite the rain, wind, cold, aching left leg, lost map, blisters, uphill most of the way, and the almost 50 miles in three days I had a great time. I haven't gotten to go backpacking in a long time and I haven't gotten to spend some quality time with those two in a while either. There wasn't anywhere else I'd rather be on my four days off of school.

The atmosphere of the trail was crazy awesome, I met some really cool people. Most notably General and J-Bird, those two could really get you laughing. But as usual NoseHose and Hillraiser could always get me laughing as well. As I mentioned to them while on the trail, they have to uncanny ability to make the best of every situation. They are always laughing at every little thing that happens, good or bad. The last night, which we spent on max patch, luke's tent blew over in the wind and rain and all his stuff blew down the side of the mountain. After he gathered everything up he came and joined Caleb and I in my two man tent, giggling the whole time. Three of us uncomfortably crammed into a two man tent was surprisingly hilarious, especially when luke told the stories of his runaway tent at 1 in the morning. It amazes me how they remain in such high spirits. I credit a lot of my ability to make 50 miles in three days, in the rain, with achy joints, to their ability to keep me in a good mood. The best part is they were just being themselves. I don't think I would have made it if it weren't for them. As long as they have eachother and their high spirits, there is no doubt in my mind that they will make it to Maine.

I learned a few things while hiking the AT with NoseHose and Hillraiser. One is that mountains hide mountains. No matter how much you think the trail couldn't go up any more, there is another mountain behind the one you just climbed. Two is that if Luke decides not to go to law school and Caleb decides not to go back and finish, they have could have promising careers forming a band known for its catchy jingles, lengthy rhymes, interesting song topics, and hours of entertainment. Through the wisdom of J-Bird the thrid thing I learned is that there is always drama when it comes to the opposite sex, even on the AT.

Even though I am glad to be home to rest my legs, I wish I could have kept on going with them. It was good to talk about old times with them, and I will try and get back on the trail with them, maybe in May. For now I thank them for the good time they showed me and wish them luck, sometimes they really need it, haha. I also want to thank my wonderful girlfriend, Hilary, for dropping me off and letting me wander off into the woods alone, and for picking me up from my journey.

Steve-o

P.S. Guys, I had more McDonalds on Sunday for lunch than any Health and Wellness major should ever have, and am planning on mexican tonight. Luke, I'm workin' on that movie and popcorn. Enjoy all the luxuries you can find in Hot Springs, hopefully my extra food allows you to make it on a semi-full stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment